July 23, 2019 News & Features » Cover Story

Favorite

Behind the Cook Studio 

A father-and-son team left an important legacy of 10,000 historic Richmond images that are steadily being cataloged, digitized and displayed at the Valentine. Forty images are now on display.

click to enlarge Young members of an unidentified Richmond baseball team strike a pose in this 1890s photograph.

The Valentine

Young members of an unidentified Richmond baseball team strike a pose in this 1890s photograph.

Anyone posting an Instagram image is hardly alone: Reportedly, some 600 million photographers, amateurs and otherwise, communicate via the Facebook-owned platform monthly. Chris Buckard, whose Instagram site has gained a large and admiring nationwide following, stresses that the most effective images "never tell people what they can already see." He adds: "Highly focused subject matter tends to perform better."

click to enlarge This early 20th century photograph captured bicycles and a horse-drawn wagon in front of the Lubin and Bijou theaters in the 800 block of East Broad Street. The Lubin opened in 1909 as a vaudeville house and nickelodeon. The Library of Virginia now occupies the site. - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • This early 20th century photograph captured bicycles and a horse-drawn wagon in front of the Lubin and Bijou theaters in the 800 block of East Broad Street. The Lubin opened in 1909 as a vaudeville house and nickelodeon. The Library of Virginia now occupies the site.

Buckard's observation of what makes a compelling photograph is apropos to the visually and sociologically rich "Images from the Cook Studio" exhibition now at the Valentine. It features 40 intriguing photographs of scenes from late 19th- and early 20th-century Richmond. The pictures were mined from the history center's mother lode of 10,000 glass-plate negatives that were generated mostly by a father-and-son team.

click to enlarge Women and children employees of an unidentified company strip tobacco leaves as they pose for this late 19th century image. - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • Women and children employees of an unidentified company strip tobacco leaves as they pose for this late 19th century image.

George Smith Cook (1819-1902) was superenergetic, entrepreneurial and specialized in portraits, while Huestis Pratt Cook (1868-1951) was drawn to the streets, neighborhoods and nearby farms of his adopted city. Collectively, from 1880 to 1930, the Cooks spent half a century capturing not just well-known local landmarks and the visages of prominent individuals, but also everyday faces and little-explored places—all highly focused subject matter.

George Cook is recognized as a pioneer in the development of photography in the United States. Connecticut-born and New Jersey-reared, he was trained as a fine artist and eventually settled in New Orleans to paint. By 1843, however, he was exposed to a new technology that became known as painting with light. He later opened a daguerreotype portrait studio in Charleston, South Carolina, and became a master in the craft. In 1851, he moved to New York where he operated a gallery owned by the celebrated photographer Matthew Brady. When he returned to Charleston, a few years later, he shifted from daguerreotypes to working in the wet-plate photographic process that involves glass plate negatives and printing on paper. Cook is credited with making the world's first photograph of actual combat when he snapped a bursting shell in the interior of Fort Sumter. In September 1863 it was fired from the USS Weehawken in Charleston harbor.

click to enlarge The main building of Richmond College, shown in about 1900, dominated the campus near what is now the intersection of Lombardy and West Grace streets. In 1914 the men’s school moved to the Westhampton neighborhood, where it was newly admitting women, it reopened as the University of Richmond. Today, the 1100 block of West Grace is lined with numerous student apartment buildings which have earned the stretch the moniker of “hell block.” - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • The main building of Richmond College, shown in about 1900, dominated the campus near what is now the intersection of Lombardy and West Grace streets. In 1914 the men’s school moved to the Westhampton neighborhood, where it was newly admitting women, it reopened as the University of Richmond. Today, the 1100 block of West Grace is lined with numerous student apartment buildings which have earned the stretch the moniker of “hell block.”

Photography had come to public awareness in 1839, just four years before Cook's embrace of its possibilities. Rather than being used to record historical events, create beautiful images, or communicate personally, such as Instagram, initially it was considered a highly exacting sketchbook.

The two primary inventors of photography, one French, and the other English, worked separately and were unaware of the other's dogged and successful experiments in the technology. In 1839, Louis Jacques Mande Daguerre (1789-1851), working with a collaborator, unveiled his shiny, mirrorlike surfaces that captured an unstable images on sheet of metal. As an artist who painted huge dioramas, he envisioned the new process as a way to speed up time-consuming prep work. And although the daguerreotype was born, it became a wildly popular method for producing hand-held portraits. These were set within thick and deep picture frames that protected the chemically induced image.

click to enlarge This image from about 1890 captures a rower and parkgoers at one of the lakes in the city’s New Reservoir Park at the foot of Clover Street, now Arthur Ashe Boulevard. The park was renamed Byrd Park. - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • This image from about 1890 captures a rower and parkgoers at one of the lakes in the city’s New Reservoir Park at the foot of Clover Street, now Arthur Ashe Boulevard. The park was renamed Byrd Park.

Simultaneously, in 1839 across the English Channel, William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-1877) discovered another photographic process. This gentleman scientist was frustrated by his lack of proficiency in sketching and drawing, a skill then required by most branches of scientific research. He sought to improve his game by developing a camera obscura that projected images onto paper and thus recorded specimens of nature, which previously were meticulously hand-drawn. Talbot announced his findings, which he called photogenic drawing, to England's Royal Society.

click to enlarge Employees of the New York Restaurant, which was at 916 E. Main St. in the financial district, break to be photographed by Cook Studio in the early 20th century. - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • Employees of the New York Restaurant, which was at 916 E. Main St. in the financial district, break to be photographed by Cook Studio in the early 20th century.

In 1853, William Cook was successfully working as a photographer in Charleston but had two major setbacks in the 1860s. His wife, Elizabeth, died in 1864. And in the last months of the Civil War in 1865, a fire destroyed his extensive collection of negatives and prints, which had been stored in Columbia, South Carolina, for safekeeping. After the war, Cook rebounded and married his deceased wife's niece, Lavinia Pratt. Among their children was Huestis Pratt Cook who would eventually join and expand his father's business. In 1880, the Cook family moved to Bon Air, the railroad and suburban resort community near Richmond. George Cook's eldest son, George LaGrange Cook, who remained in Charleston and would continue the family's photographic operation there for a decade, eventually also came to Richmond.

click to enlarge The Serendipity Shop was an emporium of American and imported items, at 117 N. Adams St. Its proprietor was Margaret May Dashiell, a New Orleans native, who was well-known for her drawings and watercolors of vernacular Richmond scenes. - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • The Serendipity Shop was an emporium of American and imported items, at 117 N. Adams St. Its proprietor was Margaret May Dashiell, a New Orleans native, who was well-known for her drawings and watercolors of vernacular Richmond scenes.

George Cook retired in 1900. Unlike the father, who had worked extensively with portraits in studio settings, Huestis Cook in continuing the operation was drawn to nonstereotypical assignments and settings. He was regularly out and about in the community. He photographed a range of subjects including government organizations, business operations, tobacco factories and rural farming activities. He retired in 1946.

Neither photographer lived to see their achievements in painting in light publically celebrated with the major exhibition, "Southern Exposure," which was staged in 1952 by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. This event led to a major book that featured the Cooks' images, "Shadows in Silver," published by Charles Scribner's Sons.

click to enlarge A sister and students at the Monte Maria Academy, a private school operated by the cloistered Sisters of the Visitation of Mary, posed in this undated photo in the late 19th or early 20th century, on the southwest ridge of Church Hill looking toward Shockoe Bottom. The convent later moved to Hanover County. The Richmond Hill retreat center now occupies the complex. - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • A sister and students at the Monte Maria Academy, a private school operated by the cloistered Sisters of the Visitation of Mary, posed in this undated photo in the late 19th or early 20th century, on the southwest ridge of Church Hill looking toward Shockoe Bottom. The convent later moved to Hanover County. The Richmond Hill retreat center now occupies the complex.

In 1954, working with Mary Latimer Cook, Huestis' widow, the 10,000-piece Cook collection of prints and negatives was acquired by the Valentine where it remains a signature holding. In 2016, a major grant from Universal Leaf Foundation underwrote the ongoing process of cataloging and the digitization of the vast collection. Some 1,400 images have been processed thus far and are available online.

"The major objective of the 'Images' exhibition is to introduce modern-day Richmonders to the work of the Cook Studio and what it has to offer," says Laura Carr, the Valentine archives technician. For three years she has been cataloging and scanning the Cook trove: "It's got a little bit of everything."

click to enlarge The baseball team of St. Emma Industrial and Agricultural Institute in Powhatan County pose in the early 20th century in front of Belmead. The former plantation house, which still stands, served the private African-American boys school for 77 years. - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • The baseball team of St. Emma Industrial and Agricultural Institute in Powhatan County pose in the early 20th century in front of Belmead. The former plantation house, which still stands, served the private African-American boys school for 77 years.

And what does she personally find the most memorable photograph?

"Among the agricultural images are several photographs of cornfields that were taken in Varina," she says. "They are kind of spooky and funny at the same time: In a field of corn there's a man's face peering through the stalks. I told an intern who was assisting us that if she's in a cornfield and sees a man with a camera: 'Run!'"

"Images from the Cook Collection" continues into November. A smaller selection of images will continue to be on view in the Valentine's community gallery indefinitely. The Valentine is at 1015 E. Clay St. 649-0711.

click to enlarge During World War I, soldiers take a break at the Virginia State Fairgrounds and enjoy refreshments from a Beva soft drink truck. The fairgrounds were between West Broad Street and Hermitage Road where the Science Museum of Virginia and the Redskins training camp now stand. - THE VALENTINE
  • The Valentine
  • During World War I, soldiers take a break at the Virginia State Fairgrounds and enjoy refreshments from a Beva soft drink truck. The fairgrounds were between West Broad Street and Hermitage Road where the Science Museum of Virginia and the Redskins training camp now stand.
Favorite

Tags:

Latest in Cover Story

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

More by Edwin Slipek

Connect with Style Weekly

Newsletter Sign-Up

The Flash
The Bite
The Scoop

Most Popular Stories

  • Finding His Voice

    Finding His Voice

    Radio host John Reid has never had a problem expressing himself. But now he’s more open than ever.
    • Aug 20, 2019
  • The New School

    The New School

    A Democratic Socialist candidate for City Council comes knocking.
    • Aug 20, 2019
  • Word & Image

    Word & Image

    Julia Ann Brown
    • Aug 20, 2019
  • Moving the Needle

    Moving the Needle

    Campaign for Southern Equality awards $5,000 grant to Nationz Foundation for efforts in HIV prevention and focus on transgender women of color
    • Aug 13, 2019
  • More »

Copyright © 2019 Style Weekly
Richmond's alternative for news, arts, culture and opinion
All rights reserved
Powered by Foundation