Summer 2014: AC system replacement
Summer 2015: Completion of schematic and design documents
Winter 2015: Marquee restoration and replacement
Fall 2016: Shutdown of theater for three to four months
Winter 2017: Grand reopening
These are some of the most significant milestones in the Byrd Theatre Foundation's Journey to the Seats campaign, including cost approximations.
Marquee and Vertical Blade Signs — Restoration and replacement, $350,000.
Box Office and Concessions — Including credit card acceptance, $75,000.
Exterior — Restoration of surfaces, openings and trim, $60,000.
Restrooms — Expansion and accessibility, $225,000.
Electrical — Complete rewiring including grand chandelier, $250,000.
Ornamental finishes — Textile, painting and plaster conservation, $800,000.
Handicapped Compliance — Accessible seating and facilities, $35,000.
Seating — Updated in orchestra and balcony, $500,000.
The Routes to Help
The foundation says that while it will solicit significant donations from big organizations, it hopes to receive community support. Here are some of the ways it wants to encourage your help:
• Donations directly through PayPal at feedthebyrd.org.
• Check or cash donations placed in the Byrd Cage of the theater lobby or mailed to the Byrd Theatre Foundation, P.O. Box 14860, Richmond, Va. 23221.
• Through the purchase of a Bill Dickinson photographic print of the Byrd at Modern Artifacts.
• Through the purchase of the book, "Celebrating the Byrd Theatre: Incredible History, Exciting Future" at Modern Artifacts, Bygone's Vintage Clothing, Chop Suey Books, the Virginia Historical Society, Library of Virginia and other locations.
• Starting in July, through a campaign on Richmond's local funding platform, Live to Serve, at livetoserve.com.