The Gaggle 

Alarms, squeaks and juicy moments amid minutiae fill time for reporters camped out at the McDonnell corruption trial.

click to enlarge Reporters surround former Gov. Bob McDonnell as he leaves the Richmond federal courthouse.

Scott Elmquist

Reporters surround former Gov. Bob McDonnell as he leaves the Richmond federal courthouse.

With the corruption trial of Bob and Maureen McDonnell entering its second week, national and local reporters continue to settle in at the federal courthouse for what’s expected to be a six-week affair.

At the security checkpoint, guards complain about how CBS-6’s Mark Holmberg used the front door as a prop, repeatedly entering and exiting on camera to get the right take on his delivery — and setting off alarms in the process.

In the elevator, Democratic busybody Paul Goldman corners NBC-12’s Ryan Nobles. “He’s lying through his teeth,” Goldman whispers to the reporter, apparently commenting on the testimony of the government’s star witness, Jonnie Williams.

In the courtroom, reporters enter and exit so many times by the fourth day that a loud squeak develops in the door’s hinge. A guard takes care of it with a shot of WD-40 during a morning break.

At least 30 reporters and no fewer than two courtroom sketch artists are covering the day-to-day minutiae of the trial. To accommodate the increased interest, court officers have set up 15 folding chairs in the aisle. Reporters scribble notes and crane their necks to view two 40-inch, flat-screen televisions set up on either side of the gallery, on which documents and photos are displayed after the judge admits them as evidence.

After particularly juicy moments — when a prosecutor produces the Rolex watch that Williams is alleged to have purchased for McDonnell, for example, handing it to the jury to pass around — reporters exit the courtroom en masse to relay the news.

The largest local outlets — the Washington Post and three local television affiliates among them — have teams of reporters in the courthouse. The Washington Post is relying on three reporters and a tag-team strategy to churn out updates: One reporter writes for 10 to 15 minutes and posts the latest. Then the journalist returns to the courtroom to trade places with a fellow staffer. The process repeats itself, providing near-live coverage in occasionally excruciating detail.

The courthouse, usually closed to electronic devices such as cell phones and computers, has made a few concessions. The clerk’s office permits registered media outlets to bring phones and set up laptops around a table in a cramped conference room just off the courtroom.

But officials are maintaining their strict prohibition on electronic devices in the courtroom. And apparently they’re monitoring news media Twitter feeds to ensure the rule’s observed: They contacted CBS-6’s Joe St. George about his coverage, prompting him to issue a tweet clarification: “I’m tweeting from the courthouse & not the courtroom — apparently the clerk’s office thought I was. Glad they are following!” S


Latest in News and Features

Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

More by Ned Oliver

Connect with Style Weekly

Most Popular Stories

  • Museum Makeovers

    Museum Makeovers

    How four Richmond museums are being transformed.
    • Jul 20, 2021
  • To Have and To Hold

    To Have and To Hold

    Wrestling returns to Richmond with UEW’s ‘Resurrection.’
    • Jul 20, 2021
  • Deep Dive

    Deep Dive

    A writer attempts to find the best dive bars in town.
    • Jul 13, 2021
  • Community Disrupted

    Community Disrupted

    Catching up with former residents of Camp Cathy and the mother figure still helping them survive.
    • Jul 6, 2021
  • More »

Copyright © 2021 Style Weekly
Richmond's alternative for news, arts, culture and opinion
All rights reserved
Powered by Foundation