Tredegar Ironworks 

Tredegar Street

click to enlarge SCOTT ELMQUIST

Known as the Arsenal of the Confederacy, Tredegar Ironworks began operation in 1838. Although the complex once included dozens of mostly brick buildings, the architecturally impressive cannon foundry building, built in 1861, is one of the few still standing. The company was owned and operated by Gen. Joseph Reid Anderson and produced more than a thousand canons during the war. In April 1865, as flames spread to nearby buildings, Anderson stationed armed guards here to protect the operation. It survived the evacuation fire and by late summer of that year was again operational.

Today, restored Tredegar buildings house the visitors’ center of the Richmond National Battlefield Park system and the American Civil War Center.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Military Appreciation Day

Baseball game between Virginia Commonwealth University and Norfolk State. Free admission for...

Country Night

Unlimited bowling with shoe rental. Music provided by 93.1 the Wolf....

View all of today's events

Facebook Recommendations

Latest in After the Fire

Copyright © 2014 Style Weekly
Richmond's alternative for news, arts, culture and opinion
All rights reserved
Powered by Foundation