The Governor’s Mansion 

Capitol Square

click to enlarge SCOTT ELMQUIST

Built in 1813 and designed by Boston architect Alexander Parris (and, like the Capitol, much expanded since the Confederate years) Virginia's governor's mansion served during the Civil War years as home of two governors, John Letcher and William Smith. It was here that the body of Stonewall Jackson was brought for public viewing after he was killed in Chancellorsville in May 1863. The following day his funeral was held in the Capitol. On April 4, 1865, immediately after the fall of Richmond, Lincoln visited the mansion.

Today, this is the nation's oldest governor's mansion still occupied by any state's chief executive.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

  • Re: Exploring Richmond's Beer Caves at Rocketts Landing

    • @CHOODOT43 - from the PDF listed above - "Aside from the reported brick beer cellars…

    • on February 13, 2017
  • Re: Abused horses find a second chance at a New Kent County

    • This is a fantastic lady who treats every single animal with love and affection! She…

    • on February 6, 2017
  • More »
  • Latest in After the Fire

    Copyright © 2017 Style Weekly
    Richmond's alternative for news, arts, culture and opinion
    All rights reserved
    Powered by Foundation