The Bell Tower 

Capitol Square

click to enlarge SCOTT ELMQUIST

On April 3, 1865, as Martha Pearce Stanard sat stubbornly on her trunk on East Franklin Street, the Union troops who had arrived in Richmond attempted to ring the bells of the Bell Tower to summon the fire department. This was to no avail: Someone had cut the hoses so the units had no working equipment. Later that day Union troops, as they continued to descend upon the city, were given the task of putting out the fires by bucket brigade.

Built on axis with Franklin Street in 1824, the Bell Tower functions today as a visitors' information center.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

  • Re: Exploring Richmond's Beer Caves at Rocketts Landing

    • @CHOODOT43 - from the PDF listed above - "Aside from the reported brick beer cellars…

    • on February 13, 2017
  • Re: Abused horses find a second chance at a New Kent County

    • This is a fantastic lady who treats every single animal with love and affection! She…

    • on February 6, 2017
  • More »
  • Latest in After the Fire

    Copyright © 2017 Style Weekly
    Richmond's alternative for news, arts, culture and opinion
    All rights reserved
    Powered by Foundation