We're looking for unpublished short stories by local writers original, captivating stories with characters who come alive. Amateurs and professionals are invited to submit their works. The three winning stories will be published in Style Weekly Aug.15 and online at www.styleweekly.com. Winners will also be invited to read their stories as part of a Style Weekly fiction party in their honor.
Other prizes include:
A $500 cash prize.
A seat at the James River Writers Conference Sept. 28-29 (valued at $150)and a pair of tickets to the 10th Annual Library of Virginia Awards Celebration honoring Virginia authors and friends, Oct. 20 (valued at $150).
A $200 cash prize.
A $100 cash prize.
1. Authors must live in the Greater Richmond area Authors must live in the Greater Richmond area (the cities of Richmond and Petersburg, the counties of Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, Goochland, and the towns of Ashland and Powhatan).
2. Authors may submit only one entry.
3. Manuscripts must be previously unpublished. By submitting their entries, writers agree that Style Weekly has the right of first publication of their manuscripts. (The author may publish the story elsewhere following publication in Style Weekly.)
4. Stories must be no longer than 2,000 words.
5. Entries must be received at the offices of Style Weekly (in person, via mail or e-mail) by noon Friday, July 13.
6. Entries must follow submission guidelines, below.
1. Manuscripts must be typed, double-spaced, with unstapled, numbered pages.
2. A cover page should include the title of your story, along with your name, address and daytime telephone number and word count. Your name or any other personal information should be left off all other pages of the manuscript.
3. Stories must be mailed, delivered in person or submitted by e-mail:
● By mail or in person: Fiction Contest, Style Weekly, 1707 Summit Ave., Suite 201, Richmond, Va. 23230.
● By e-mail: Attach manuscripts as a Word or text file. Please include your name, address, daytime telephone number and word count in the body of the e-mail. Send to email@example.com.
4. Winning stories must be available to Style Weekly in electronic format as a text file.
Style Weekly's mission is to provide smart, witty and tenacious coverage of Richmond. Our editorial team strives to reveal Richmond's true identity through unflinching journalism, incisive writing, thoughtful criticism, arresting photography and sophisticated presentation.
We make sense of the news; pursue those in power; explore the city's arts and culture; open windows on provocative ideas; and help readers know Richmond through its people. We give readers the information to make intelligent decisions.