Medical College of Virginia 

College and Marshall streets

click to enlarge egyptian_building.jpg

Built in 1845 by Thomas Stewart, a Philadelphia architect who also designed St. Paul's Episcopal Church the same year, this is a rare — and one of the nation's best — examples of Egyptian Revival architecture.

The Medical College of Virginia was the only medical school in the South to remain open throughout the Civil War. Its enrollment was bolstered with the transfer of 144 students from the University of Pennsylvania's Jefferson School of Medicine to MCV under the direction of Dr. Hunter McGuire. Today, as part of Virginia Commonwealth University, this is the oldest medical school building in the South still in use. The interior was altered significantly in the 1930s and redecorated in the art deco style with a grant from Bernard Barauch, a prominent New York businessman whose father had attended the school.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

  • Re: The Bar List

    • Looking for the best bar with cheap pitchers and games. Foosball, darts, big buck, shuffleboard…

    • on September 9, 2016
  • More »
  • Latest in After the Fire

    Copyright © 2016 Style Weekly
    Richmond's alternative for news, arts, culture and opinion
    All rights reserved
    Powered by Foundation