Relief Pitch 

Mayor hedges against failure in ballpark paperwork.

click to enlarge 52880df338c63.image.jpg

As uncertainty swirls around Richmond Mayor Dwight Jones’ ballpark proposal, his administration has built a workaround into the plan -- just in case he can’t line up quite enough support from City Council.

Written into letters of intent between the city and developers released this week is a hedge: The documents leave up in the air whether the city will sell the Shockoe Bottom land it owns in the project’s footprint or whether it merely will be leased to developers.

Selling is the administration’s preference, but authorization for a sale would require support from seven of nine City Council members. If the land is leased, then only six council members will ultimately need to sign on. The city property makes up about a quarter of the development’s proposed footprint.

“It depends on what the council is likely to approve and support.” Chief Administrative Officer Byron Marshall tells Style.

It looks unlikely the mayor will be able to meet the seven-vote threshold.

Three council members have said they won’t vote for Jones’ plan: Parker Agelasto, Reva Trammell and, the latest, Chris Hilbert.

Hilbert, who represents North Side, says he told Jones in a meeting two weeks ago that he’s not on board. He says he supports restarting the process by opening the project to public bids from interested developers.

“I think we need to find a third way,” he tells Style. “We need to restore the public’s confidence in the system, and apparently folks are telling me that they’re dissatisfied. And I have had concerns about the plan that's out there on the table.”

Two more council members have signaled they have serious doubts about Jones’ proposal to redevelop Shockoe Bottom around a new baseball stadium. Jon Baliles voted to move forward with the plan in February, but this month he spearheaded an effort to strip funding for the project from next year’s budget. Council restored that funding this week in a compromise.

But Baliles says he still has doubts about the project. “I didn’t see anything that will help me make up my mind,” he said Monday after receiving the latest update and documents from the administration.

Likewise, Samuels, who voted against moving forward with the plan in February, wasn’t particularly moved. “We did not see a final plan tonight,” Samuels said.

Marshall says the administration would like City Council to vote on the proposal at its next meeting May 27, and failing that, during their June 9 meeting.

Does that timeline sound reasonable?

Samuels responded with an exaggerated exhale: “Ooof. I don’t know if I knew about that request for a timeframe.”

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

  • Re: Relocation Explored for Doomed Tree at Maggie Walker Memorial Site

    • I don't think that plaza on Broad is the right location for the Maggie Walker…

    • on August 29, 2016
  • Re: Relocation Explored for Doomed Tree at Maggie Walker Memorial Site

    • Linwood Holton Elementary lost its only shade tree on the now demolished playground earlier this…

    • on August 29, 2016
  • Re: Relocation Explored for Doomed Tree at Maggie Walker Memorial Site

    • After killing the tree by trying to uproot it, can you imagine driving it down…

    • on August 29, 2016
  • More »
  • More by Ned Oliver

    • Auto Spying

      Virginia lawmakers are fighting against the use of license-plate scanners by police. But what about the people privately watching your whereabouts?
      • Apr 28, 2015
    • City Explores Tax on Richmond Airbnb Rentals

      • Apr 21, 2015
    • Flash Forward

      Richmond is getting a $54 million, high-speed bus line right down Broad Street. But do we need it? Here are the answers to seven questions you might be asking.
      • Apr 21, 2015
    • More »

    Copyright © 2016 Style Weekly
    Richmond's alternative for news, arts, culture and opinion
    All rights reserved
    Powered by Foundation